Wednesday 20 May 2015

Revamped my old desk

I decided to have a decorate and revamp my old "office" desk; yes I'm a ceramicist and spend half my like in my workshop, but the other half is spent at my desk ...doing the boring stuff - accounts, online shop etc. And who wants to spend their time sitting in an ugly workspace? So I indulged ... it's amazing what a transformation you can get with a coat of paint! What do you think? :)
Heres how I revamped this desk- - I removed the handles using a screwdriver - so I wouldn't paint them! - I painted 3 layers of plain white over the entire desk as a base coat to cover the wood colour - letting each layer dry between coats. - I painted 3 coats of cream paint over the entire desk - again letting each layer dry between coats. - Once dry I could start adding colour, I painted the first coat of the lighter brown on the upper and lower drawer front. - Then a dark chocolate brown on the middle drawer. - Each drawer front had 3 coats. - I let it dry for 24 hours before the next step, I applied lots of coats of clear lacquer spray to the desks top, this gave it a nice glossy shine; it also makes it easier to wipe clean for those tea spillages! - Last step was to reattach the handles. And Voila! If you have a go and revamp your furniture using these steps I'd love to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment